Monday, February 8, 2010

Taken out by a shuttle drive - didn't see that one coming

Far out - it's a long way down Mt Wellington in Hobart on a bike and even longer up the mountain in a bus.

Last weekend I competed in the very first Wellington Super D race.

Mt Wellington is the spectactular mountain overlooking the city of Hobart and is a favourite for walkers, site seeing tourists and mountain bikers. The views are fantastic!

The Wellington Super D race started not far from the top and finished in the Glenorchy mountain bike park - over 800 vertical metres of descent. It was about 15 kms or more (I think) of loose rockiness at the top with some rewarding flowly single track at the end and three f&%$*in' hard uphill sections in the middle. I'm sure poor Frenchie, who was sitting on his quad bike behind me for quite awhile must have been thinking "F*%&@ I hope the old girl's not having a heart attack" as I leaned over my handle bars waiting for my breathing to return to a controllable pace and hoping not to puke as well so I could push the downhill bike up the hills. But I made it down the track twice on Saturday with no falls. But the shuttle got the best of me on Sunday before the race. I had to pull out, and get out of the bus half way up the mountain to avoid throwing up all it and the rest of the boys. I am prone to car sickness if not driving but didn't realise just how sick i was getting.

Thanks to Frenchie and hopefully the Wellington Super D will become a regular event. It has the potential to a fun, fantastic, fast, full-on fitness event - I just don't know what to do about the shuttle sickness...

No comments: